Table of Content
- Job Offer: HPC System Administrator (m/f)
- General Guidelines for Application
Job Offer: HPC System Administrator (m/f)
I'm always seeking for talented people having high level skills in the domains of High Performance Computing management and a strong devops culture.
So if you have a master and/or bachelor in Computer Science, or equivalent degree with expert knowledge in Linux system administration, and if you are seeking to work in an international environment within a dynamic team, and share our commitment for excellence, consider applying to join me and the UL HPC Team.
Short overview of this job offer is now proposed:
- Full-time contract (40 hours/week)
- competitive salary
- Job Location: University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg
In order to face the growing needs of the University of Luxembourg (UL), a dedicated HPC management unit composed by highly qualified system administrators has been created under the supervision of Prof. Pascal Bouvry and Dr. Sébastien Varrette.
To reinforce this team, the UL is looking for highly qualified individuals to play a key role in the administration and support of the UL HPC facility (see http://hpc.uni.lu). Duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- contribute to the first-line support of the HPC facilities (Computer Help Information Point: bug tracking, help-desk, docs etc.);
- provide second-line support (platform maintenance, R&D, SLA enforcement);
- assist the supervisor for the plan and design of the future infrastructure (hard & soft-ware), to constantly meet the needs of the UL in a consistent, flexible and scalable way;
- serve as a privileged interface with the users of the UL HPC platform;
- contribute to the developpement of best-practices and cutting-edge/robust technologies in the HPC and devops ecosystem of the University;
- contribute to the tutoring of UL staff members.
In addition, the candidate will have to serve as technical advisor (and eventually manager) for the various services operated within the UL HPC team (gforge, gitlab, etherpad, jabberd etc.).
How to apply?
In addition to the above job offer, I have also a couple of subject that can be proposed as internship at all levels.
Subject for Ph.D. and PostDoc
- Certified Security and Blockchain-based Trust for network integrated Internet of Things (IoT)
- Energy-aware management of Ultrascale Computing Platforms
Subject for Masters
- Performance evaluation of Machine/Deep Learning frameworks in large-scale HPC environment
- Optimization and Fault-Tolerance of MPI runs using the MVAPICH suite
- An LLVM-based Approach to Generate Energy Aware Code by means of MOEAs
Subject for Bachelor
We have several background tasks linked to the large-scale management of IT [computing] systems that could lead to subjects.
At this level, the candidate will be required to acquire or complete his/her skills on administrating Linux systems in a secure way. This involves the extensive use of the Puppet configuration management software, Vagrant, Git to cite just a few.
General Guidelines for Application
- Master and/or Bachelor in Computer Science, or equivalent degree, ideally with a speciality in security and/or distributed computing
- Expert knowledge in Linux system administration
- Solid understanding of networked computing environment concepts
- Good knowledge in scripting (bash, perl, python, ruby) and in Version Control Systems (svn, git)
- Experience with algorithm, computational methodologies and software development in the field of computational science;
- Excellent communication skills and capacity of relationship management
- Excellent organisational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Fluency in English, ideally to mother tongue standard
Kindly consider submitting your application under the form of files in electronic version (PDF) (not word!). Your application should be written in English, and include at least the following documents:
- letter of motivation,
- detailed curriculum vitae,
- certified copies of degree certificates including a transcript of courses taken (with grades),
- the names and contact details of three referees
The University of Luxembourg (UL) actively seeks qualified applications from those in under-represented communities in an effort to maintain a diverse workforce. UL is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, colour, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the University of Luxembourg. We are committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization. Applications will be handled in the strictest confidence.